With the plans, models and engineered drawings now behind us it is time at last to begin actual construction. The first bit to get the green light was the dock barrels, boxes and weapons. We decided for maximum reality we would build the axe heads and sword blades in steel. The vector files were created in EnRoute. For a little extra bling Peter whipped up a fancy little dragon which would be incorporated as an etching in the side of one of the axes. The MultiCam CNC plasma cut the parts in a few minutes and then the fun of assembly began. A square patch of metal was welded behind the dragon cutout and then the two faces of the axe were welded to some two inch stock. They were bent together at the blade and welded up. We then cut some steel wedge shaped flat stock to create the top and bottom and back of the axe. A little grinding smoothed everything out nicely. As a final step we welded on some pipe stock for the armature for the handle. We’ll send it out for galvanizing before we sculpt the ‘wooden’ handle.
Glad you axed
Published with permission from precisionboard.blogspot.com. Source.