The mechanical fish needed some substantial hangers to look convincing. I decided some hefty I-beams were the order of the day but they needed to be a little fancy of course. Some swoopy curves and some drilled holes would do the trick nicely in a steampunk, victorian sort of fashion.
The files were created in EnRoute using the drawing tools. I first created the basic shape and then used the offset line tool to create what would become the flange of the beam. I wanted a solid piece at the top end to put an eye hook into. On the bottom end I created a thick mounting block. The rectangle around the beam is for sizing purposes. The angled line at the top will serve to cut off the inside hollow.
I used the jigsaw tool to create a new vector, then deleted the original inside line as well as the angles line.
I then modified this line using the point edit tool to add a curve to the top. Some circle vectors would form the cutouts when I created the reliefs.
The bottom block was then made into a relief one inch tall.
The I-beam flange was made into a 0.55″ tall relief
Then I created a 0.2″ tall relief of the inside web of the beam.
All these reliefs were then merged highest with a background zero height relief.
Share our content!