Over the years many of our customers have asked for advice when bonding dissimilar substrates, such as plywood or aluminum, to Precision Board Plus.
Bonding a dissimilar substrate to Precision Board Plus is easy when the proper procedures are followed.
1. Dry fit the pieces you will be bonding together before applying any adhesive to be sure you have a proper fit.
2. Have all of your weights and clamps ready, especially if working with PB Fast Set – it dries fast!
3. Mist the surface with a spray bottle or a rag. PB Bond-240 and PB Fast Set require moisture to catalyze it and fully cure, which is critical for a strong joint. Both surfaces should be lightly sprayed with water, with any excess wiped away.
4. Apply the PB Bond-240 or PB Fast Set in ribbons parallel to the shortest dimension. Apply the ribbons in a 3/8″ diameter, 5″ – 8″ apart. The space between the ribbons will allow the dissimilar substrates to expand and contract without over-stressing the bond or the material. Over-stressing will cause delamination or cracking of the weakest substrate.
5. The next step is to add a 3/8″ ribbon around the perimeter, about 3/4″ from the edge. This serves to seal against water (both PB Fast Set and PB Bond-240 are waterproof), dirt and other debris from entering between the laminated pieces.
6. Finally, place the 2 pieces together and weigh down with a heavy object. Be sure to also toenail in screws in several locations to keep your work aligned. When using PB Bond-240, do not move for at least 4 hours. Total cure is achieved in 12 hours. PB Fast Set will be fully cured in 30 minutes.
You can also check out our video on bonding to see how to properly edge bond and laminate Precision Board Plus.
Don’t forget, we offer free technical support, so if you have any questions or would like to try a free sample, give us a call at: (800) 845-0745!
Share our content!