I designed a second style of wheels that would be used on the back side of the locomotive and on the log car. I used some of the same vectors to make sure the wheels would be the same size. The relief was simple compared to the geared wheel. I haven’t got screen captures of the entire process but I’ll describe it for you. The outside relief (wheel flange) was first (not shown) It was a flat relief at 0.4″ tall. Then I selected the next inside ring and modified the first relief to raise up the rim of the material. The next step was to drop the center part of the wheel I used the dome tool with a 0.4 base and an angle of 44 degrees.
The center hub was then built as a flat relief that was 3.0 inches tall. This was merged highest with the wheel relief. To drill the hole in the center I created a separate zero height relief. this was merged lowest to drill out the center for the axle. As quick as that the file was ready to be sent to the MultiCam. I routed the wheels from 3″ 40 lb Precision Board. It’s not often I do routing from 3″ thick material and forty pound at that but I keep a couple of sheets on hand for just such a purpose. This is the third train we’ve made.
Here’s a shot of an axle mocked up.
The geared wheels took about an hour to route (times four) while the plainer wheels took about forty minutes each (times twelve wheels). There are sixteen wheels in all. Today I finished the train wheels and started in on the wheels for the log car. While the MultiCam was busy I fired up the welder and began work on the train engine frame
Share our content!