With the router work done and the sign assembled over the welded frame it is time to begin the hand work… my favourite part. I used an air powered die grinder to even out the edges and add a little texture while I was at it.
Then I coated the egg shape with a thin coat of Abracadabra Sculpting epoxy pressing it hard into the surface. This acted as a prime coat. I welded up two pieces of steel tubing to form the barrels of the gun. Some pencil rod defined the shape of the gun stock and there pieces of pencil rod also protruded out the back. I marked the egg shape where they were located and then pressed the gun in place. Then I wadded up some tinfoil and blocked out the shape of the gun stock. A thin layer of sculpting epoxy was used to cover this up.
I then bunched and rolled a tube of tinfoil and covered this with epoxy. This was then bent to shape and pressed into place to form the arm. The reason for the tinfoil is to form an armature and save on epoxy. It’s expensive! Tin foil is not. While these areas hardened I moved on to the other arm.
I then added another layer of sculpting epoxy to the bottom of the egg and gun stock. I used a sharpened paint stir stick to press in the texture. Dipping the tool in water help it not stick to the epoxy. I also rolled epoxy in wiener shapes to create the individual fingers and toes.
I worked around the sculpture creating fur more fingers and the eyeballs. The nose was formed over tin foil as the other shapes to cut down on the amount of epoxy.
After about four hours work I had the figure finished. I used pencil rod to form the quills that protrude out of his back. Tomorrow we’ll begin the painting process.