I tool pathed the slices of the ship two different ways. For the middle two slices of each half I used only a 3/8″ ball nose bit at 80% overlap. The large tool made short work of the hull pieces. The smaller section of the hull with the window needed a little more detail so I roughed it at 50% using the 3/8″ ball nose bit and then did a finish pass using a 1/8″ ball nose bit with a 80% overlap. The six hull pieces were arranged to fit onto a 1/3 sheet of 2″ thick Precision Board I started the file on the router shortly after lunch and then went outside to do some tractor work in the yard. When I went back in the shop around 4:30 the file was done.
I couldn’t resist mocking up the pieces to see how it would look when it is done. I loved it!
I’ll design and routed a few more pieces yet for the ship including the back window and wheel, perhaps a few more. The rest of the pieces of detail will be hand sculpted. It will have to wait a few weeks until the Cultus Lake project is done but I’m looking forward to the challenge!
Published with permission from precisionboard.blogspot.com. Source.