We are now beginning to assemble and finish the signs for the Trinidad project, starting with Cookie’s Galley sign. In the last few days we’ve done the finishing and laid on the base coats of paint. We use premium exterior house paint for all of our finishes and glazes with good results. Today it was time for the first glaze to bring out the woodgrain textures
Sometimes, after I complete a design I just know I could have done better. There’s only one thing to do. DELETE.
A while back I posted a how-to on the Treasure Quest sign. In the last installment the sign had been laminated over the framework. The rest of the twisted tree had been lathed and was ready for the concrete. Since then we sculpted the concrete ‘wood and bark’ and allowed the tee to cure before it was ready to drag back in the shop to finish up.
Designing and building a theme park is a lot of fun, especially if you get to control all aspects of the design. The rides are being manufactured by a company in Italy but they allowed me to help with the design to help the ride fit into the theme of the park. Unless we want to spend a great deal of our customer’s money the changes are limited to cosmetic items alone.
We had a high energy group assembled for our 2014 Sign Magic Workshop. Our guests were from all over including Nevis – Alberta, Newark – California, Hickory – North Carolina, Jackson – Wyoming, Prior Lake – Minnesota, Invermere – Roberts Creek – Vernon – British Columbia, and Aitkenvale – Australia. Jeff Hartman, one of the creators of EnRoute came from Denver – Colorado to help with the technical side of things. This eager group soaked up everything we shared, took tons of photos and notes and did up some pretty spectacular projects during the hands-on workshop time
I covered the file creation of Philip’s name plate back on September 2. It looked great after it was routed from 30 lb Precision Board. The painting crew was ready to give it a cool paint job but I asked them to hold off for I had a little more detail in mind. They had already applied some FSC-88 WB primer (thick bodied water base primer) using a small brush to add some texturing to the lettering. Philip is attending both workshops and rather than make him two name plates I decided I would make him one that was a little more elaborate. Sarah mixed up some Abracadabra Sculpting Epoxy for me and I quickly sculpted some barnacles and a starfish that was slowly making it’s way down across the lettering.
For Torey’s name plate I wanted it to look like boards fastened together. I toed out the letters, learned and sized them appropriately then whipped out the rectangles that would become boards. I wasn’t worried about sizes or spacing at this point. I then selected odd number boards and assigned them a height to create the reliefs.
For Richard’s name plaque I wanted a dimensional waving checkered flag. There’s lots of ways to accomplish something like this in EnRoute but this is the easiest I can think of. It used the distort tool. I started with a bitmap from the TEXTURE MAGIC COLLECTION